Tuesday, 15 November 2016

Studying & Preparing for Tests


 
 
Dear Parents,

The children will be having their first unit test this year in Science on Monday, November 21, 2016. It will be on the Waste and Our World Unit.  I would like them to develop some effective study strategies this year, and need your help. As much as possible, I will try to give the children at least 3-4 days notice of tests, and some indication of what will be on it.  At times this will be in the form of a multi-day in-class review of content.  At other times I will give them a list, either in handout form or as notes, and sometimes orally). I will also introduce them to various study strategies throughout the year. 
Here’s how you can help:
  • set up a time and place for study
  • help your child set up a schedule for the 3-4 days they have to study, and help them to break the material up into manageable chunks
  • encourage your child to use several of the strategies and help them decide what seems to work best for them. Studying is very individual, and we all need to develop our own style.
  • talk about test taking skills  ie: what to do if you’re stuck on a question, answering questions as completely as you can, not worrying too much, etc.

Thanks for your help at home. If there is anything I can do to help in the study process please let me know.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reader-generated content (comments, posts) remain at the discretion of the blog authors and CCSD. Please refer to the CCSD Social Media Rules of Engagement (on the CCSD intranet).