As difficult as the current reality is in the world, one silver lining is that it highlights the ideal that we need to live to celebrate life not only with a sense of
intentionality but with a grateful or thankful heart. This calls us to be
present in our lives and celebrate what we have in the present. We also
need to be reminded in different ways of how vital a positive soul and thankful
heart can be in our lives.
We have so much to be
grateful for in this life . . . each and every day! But reality is that
sometimes our demands, struggles, and worries detract from our ability to
express a heart of thanks. Or often we forget, in the midst of busy days,
schedules and pressures, just to pause and give thanks, for all that God has
done, and continues to do in our lives. Though we may be faced with some
challenging moments, we need to be in awe of God’s grace with the wonderful
world that He created with us in mind! Just think of the ordinary things to be grateful for . . .
Below is one of my
favourite reflections, "Prayerful
Statements of Gratitude to God", which
is a powerful reminder of our spiritual response to God’s myriad of blessings
which are often disguised in a variety of ways.
Thank you, God for the
times You have said "no." They have helped me depend on You so much
more.
Thank you, God, for
unanswered prayer. It reminds me that You know what's best for me, even when my
opinion differs from Yours.
Thank You, Lord, for
the things you have withheld from me. You have protected me from what I may
never realize.
Thank You, God, for
the doors You have closed. They have prevented me from going where You would
rather not have me go.
Thank you, Lord, for
the physical pain You've allowed in my life. It has helped me more closely
relate to Your sufferings on my behalf.
Thank you, Lord, for
the alone times in my life. Those times have forced me to lean in closer to
You.
Thank you, God, for
the uncertainties I've experienced. They have deepened my trust in You.
Thank You, Lord, for
the times You came through for me when I didn't even know I needed a rescue.
Thank You, Lord, for
the losses I have experienced. They have been a reminder that You are my
greatest gain.
Thank You, God, for
the tears I have shed. They have kept my heart soft and mold-able.
Thank You, God, for
the times I haven't been able to control my circumstances. They have reminded
me that You are sovereign and on the throne.
Thank You, God, for
those people in my life whom You have called home to be with You. Their absence
from this earth keeps my heart longing for heaven.
Thank You, God, that I have an inheritance in the heavenly places...something that this world can never steal from me and I could never selfishly squander.
Thank You, God, for
the greatest gift You could ever give me: forgiveness through Your perfect
Son's death on the cross on my behalf.
Thank You, God, for
the righteousness You credited toward me, through the death and resurrection of
Jesus. It's a righteousness I could never earn or attain on my own.
Thank You, Father,
that You know me, You hear me, and You see my tears. Remind me through
difficult times that You are God, and You are there.
In reflecting on these
powerful words, I have come to realize we have a choice to give Him thanks. And
with a heart of thanksgiving, we realize that no matter what we face, God
doesn’t just work to change our situations and help us through our problems. He
changes our hearts. His power, through a heart of gratitude and attention on
Him, releases the hold our struggles have over us. In return, we are
strengthened and replenished by His peace. Our individual and collective
influence, and their abundant rewards, is highlighted in the following
prayer:
Such is the message in the
following beautiful song “You Say” by Christian pop artist Lauren Daigle. In her own words, Lauren provided
clarity on the song’s message, “This song for me was just a reminder of
identity. It was a reminder that when I’m weak He is strong. So how do I change
that and bring that into my everyday life? When I feel inadequate how is it
that there’s always these moments where I feel like God just steps in and
supersedes my inadequacies…. Don’t get buried in confusion, in the waywardness
just remember to stay the course.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIaT8Jl2zpI - Lauren Daigle – “You Say”
In closing, our daily lives
are filled with many reminders of how God’s grace fills our lives with hope,
blessings and strength. It also reminds us of how vital a thankful heart
can be in our lives and how we never should take our relationship with God for
granted. We are endowed and
blessed with the opportunity of sharing this “attitude of spiritual gratitude”
with the children, families and colleagues among us. And yes, there are
times when we need support and extra care. While we can find it through
friends, family, peers and colleagues, we often need reminders that God is also there
when we let Him journey with us. In prayer with Him we find
a moment of “exhale”, solace and a simplicity that reminds us that matters get
sorted out in His time and way. Let us be aware of this and give “thanks” as we
continue on our spiritual journey throughout the remainder of Lent and beyond.
Blessings and “gratitude”





No comments:
Post a Comment
Reader-generated content (comments, posts) remain at the discretion of the blog authors and CCSD. Please refer to the CCSD Social Media Rules of Engagement (on the CCSD intranet).